Castlegate should re-open ahead of Newark Festival
Good news finally for the businesses, commuters and shoppers of Newark, work on the Castle Gate section of Severn Trent’s £60m investment in Newark is due to complete on target by June 15, meaning the one-way system should be removed in time for the Newark Festival.
Following 17 weeks of work on the road there is still more to be done but, so far, everything is going to plan meaning getting to the Festival should be easier for everyone.
Recently business owners had said they were struggling due to the restrictions that were in place.
Nick Wallace from Severn Trent said: “We’re very aware that the Festival’s looming but things are looking good for us hitting the completion date for the one way system.
“With more to be done, it’s obviously hard for us to be absolutely certain but we’re working really hard to get everything done and to get the traffic flowing. We know how disruptive work like this can be and we’re as keen as anyone to get things back to normal in Castle Gate.”
The work in Castle Gate as part of the company’s multi-million pound investment to improve the town’s water and waste services, which will see over 400 homes and businesses protected from sewer flooding by 2020.
Recently, ‘The Siege Breaker’, the state-of-the-art tunnel boring machine, completed its nine-month journey underground, creating a tunnel that is three kilometres long and big enough to drive a transit van through which will allow for the much needed bigger and better sewers to be installed.
Severn Trent will continue to run its free shuttle bus around the town up to the end of Saturday the 16th so visitors to the festival will be able to benefit from using it, the shuttle bus is free for anyone to use when visiting the town to help keep local businesses open during the construction. Normal bus services will resume from Monday 18th.
BNM Alliance is carrying out the work on behalf of Severn Trent.For more information on Severn Trent’s work in Newark, visit stw.works/Newark.